So why is Cellular Technology the fastest growing method for connectivity Internet of Things?
It is simlpy because Cellular coverage is nearly everywhere. A recent ITU report suggests that the total number of global mobile subscriptions is approximately 6.8 billion – nearly the same as the estimated world population.
Cellular is being widely adopted for use in the Internet of Things space due to the choice technologies (2G, 3G, 4G LTE), and global network coverage. IoTCellular devices can be pre-provisioned by distributors before shipment to the end-customer, so they connect to the network right out of the box. No end user provisioning is required (e.g. setting up security to connect to a Wi-Fi access point)
IoT Cellular devices can be deployed anywhere that is in network coverage. It can also be deployed in mobile applications where devices need to stay connected no matter where they are at even across wide geographical areas.
Reliability is critical for many IoT applications, especially those involving security and real-time monitoring and alerts. You can now manage your entire SIM estate – across ALL Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) and countries, all controlled across M2M SIM Management Portal customer dashboard that has been designed to empower users to manage entire multi-network SIM estates from one simple to use and intuitive portal.
• Activate and suspend SIM cards.
• Monitor and view advanced information live from the SIM across all Mobile Network Operators.
• Control over entire SIM estate to add custom fields, browse, filter and search.
• Reporting that allows you to export to XML tables from the platform for more visibility, better analysis of performance.
• Manage Billing with view and download invoicing, drill down to analyse usage, detailed reporting and order more SIMs online.
Value Added Services:
• Update Location HLR self-diagnostic tool to reboot SIM and restart roaming.
• Free SMS tool that’s simple to use multiple network SMS sending to M2M SIMs, for messaging and set up AT commands to modem.
• Mapping services enable to track location of SIMs.
• Real-time usage visibility and usage alerts available with Watchdog. Instantaneous data activity reporting plus integrated alerts and data usage capping on a SIM by SIM basis.
• Aggregation management view real-time aggregated data across pooled data plans.
• Add your own data/identifiers to your SIMs via custom fields, making your SIM estate entirely recognisable to your operation.
• Order new SIMs to add to your SIM estate online.
• Full APIs available to allow integrate with your own systems.
Over the past 18 months data costs have also fallen significantly. For connected machines that only need to report small amounts of data, connectivity costs can be just £0.45p per month for open roaming multi-network coverage.